Well we can’t believe it’s now only three weeks until school closes for Christmas! Where has that term gone? Normally we’d be getting ready for a non-stop three weeks of events in the run-up to the Christmas break but for obvious reasons we’re not able to do nearly as much as we would normally do.
We have still got some exciting events planned though:
• Sometime during December each class will take part in the sponsored Rudolph Run for Barnsley Hospice. We’ll let you know the day before so please have a Christmas jumper ready! Children will all get a pair of reindeer antlers and a red nose to run in as well!
• On Monday 7th December we are hoping that the production of Cinderella will still be able to visit school; this is an interactive show with one live actor interacting with a large-screen film which promises to be very different! We will be having three showings, one for Y1 & 2, one for Y3 & 4 and one for Y5 & 6.
• Friday 11th December is our Christmas jumper day and also Christmas dinner day – we’re extending lunchtime to allow Y5 & 6 to eat their meals in the hall that day and staff will be eating with their year groups as well.
• During the last week of term classes will have their Christmas parties in their own classrooms. There will still be lots of games, fun and sugar so hopefully the children will enjoy it just as much as usual!
• The EYFS nativity and also the Christmas music concert will be recorded and put on YouTube when they are ready – we’ll send out the links as soon as they are live.
• On Thursday 17th December we will be having our Christmas Service on the top playground, with each class stood a safe distance from each other. We will have some favourite carols and readings telling the Christmas story.
Earlier Closing of School for Pupils – Friday 18th December
On Friday 18th we are closing school to children at 1.15pm for EYFS / Y3 & 4 and 1.30pm for Y1 & 2 and Y5 & 6. We have made this decision to minimise the risk of staff and children having to isolate over the Christmas holidays. All teachers will have their PPA (allocated planning, preparation and assessment time) on this afternoon so that classes won’t be covered by different members of staff throughout the week. This will help to keep all contacts to a minimum.
We’ve been having some issues with mobile phones in school recently. We wanted to remind everyone that only Y5 and 6 pupils are allowed to bring phones to school – and this is only to allow contact with parents whilst walking to school and home again. We have reminded the children that they must put their phones in their pocket or bag as soon as they come through the gate and we are collecting them in boxes as soon as they come into the building. Any children seen with phones when they shouldn’t have them will have them confiscated.
A short report will be coming home with your child today. If, after reading the report, you would like a virtual parents meeting with your child’s teacher please go on the Gateway app, click on payments, select Parents Evening – Request for Remote meeting and select consent. You will then be contacted with further details of how to book an appointment.
Thank you for the amazing response to the food bank collection so far.
Mrs Athorn has already taken a car load of advent calendars to the bank and we have a huge pile of food items ready to go in a couple of weeks! If anybody would still like to contribute please bring donations to school by Wednesday the 17th December.
We are looking forward to having all our EYFS children and staff back in school on Monday.
Thanks to the staff who have worked so hard to keep the online teaching going and to the parents and children who have participated so enthusiastically.
As always, if there is anything we can help with, please have a chat on the gate, email us or give us a ring and we’ll do whatever we can to help.
Mr Thompson and Mrs Athorn